Since 1892, the Orthodox Christian faith has been lived in Charleston, West Virginia, brought originally by immigrants from Lebanon and Syria. In 1905, the parish was officially incorporated under the episcopal leadership of St. Raphael of Brooklyn, who in 1911 consecrated the first altar.
Located in downtown Charleston across from the Town Center Mall, St. George Cathedral serves about 400 families and seeks to bring the light of Holy Orthodoxy to the whole Kanawha Valley and all of West Virginia.
St. George Cathedral is a parish of the Self-Ruled Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America and serves as the primary episcopal see of the Diocese of Charleston, Oakland and the Mid-Atlantic. The diocesan chancery is located here in Charleston.
Divine services are held weekly. All are welcome to attend, regardless of current religious affiliation or background.